Work in the UK


Requirements for Radiographers and Sonographers to work as Locum or Permanent

  • Registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) This is mandatory for Radiographers.
  • While useful, it is not essential for Sonographers to be registered with HCPC. We recommend Sonographers be registered if they can, and if not, then we strongly encourage membership of a professional body.


  • BSc Diagnostic or Therapeutic Radiography, Diploma of the College of Radiographers or overseas equivalent.
  • For Mammography a Certificate of Competence or an overseas qualification in Breast screening is required.
  • For Ultrasound an MSc or a DMU in medical ultrasound or overseas equivalent is required to practice in the UK.

Personal Information

  • Completed Sonographers Medical application form, including acceptance of Terms & Conditions. (Application Form)
  • Full CV with detailed work history (with no breaks in employment).
  • Copy of Passport (certified copy of original document needs to be sighted and verified by Sonographers Medical. NZ )
  • UK entry status; (proof of eligibility to work in the UK, certified copies of original documents sighted & verified by Sonographers Medical NZ ).
  • Driving Licence (certified copy of original sighted & verified) as evidence of identity and/or proof of address.
  • Change of name; if applicable (must be supported by marriage certificate or other relevant original documentation).
  • Copies of 2 utility bills - but not mobile phone bill (proof of address).
  • Details of 2 Professional References (most recent employers & within the last 2 years).
  • Passport photos x 2.

Police Reports

  • Police report from country of origin - if applicable (must be within 3 months of the UK arrival).
  • Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service ( DBS) check (previously called enhanced Criminal Records Bureau/CRB check) issued by previous employer or organisation within the last 12 months.
  • Completed enhanced DBS application form issued by Sonographers Medical. Sonographers Medical UK will pay for your DBS application. Please contact our office to request this form.

Occupational Health

  • Completed Sonographers Medical occupational health questionnaire.
  • Proof of immunity for Hep B (laboratory report with Titre levels above 100).
  • Proof of immunity for Rubella (laboratory report of positive immunity).
  • Proof of Tuberculosis immunity (written proof of BCG scar has been sighted by an OH Nurse/Doctor or proof of TB vaccination administered).
  • Proof of immunity to Mumps & Measles (lab report of positive immunity or evidence of MMR vaccination).
  • Proof of immunity to Varicella (written self declaration of having Shingles or Chicken Pox is sufficient).

Annual Training

  • Certificate of Manual Handling training (physical training that must have been undertaken within the last 12 months).
  • Certificate of Basic Life Support or CPR training (physical training and not a distance learning course, completed in the last 12 months). This can be arranged and paid by Sonographers Medical UK.

Visas & Permits in the UK